Tuesday, December 2, 2008

One a penny two a penny - Hot cross buns

Hot cross buns! Hot cross buns!
One a penny two a penny - Hot cross buns
If you have no daughters, give them to your sons
One a penny two a penny - Hot cross buns
I had this damn rhyme in my head the WHOLE time I was making these!


One perfect Hot Cross Bun.







Just a bit of spice and a tiny drizzle of powdered sugar icing. MMM These are one of my dad's faves and I had a bit of free time over the turkey day weekend so I thought I'd whip up a batch.

I got the recipe from Recipe Zaar but of course I had to make a few modifications- for me and for dad.





Ingredients

GLAZE AND ICING


First of all- no nutmeg in the kitchen where I was baking so I used pumpkin pie spice. Which my mom was cool with since she hates nutmeg. How can you hate nutmeg? No idea, feel free to ask her.
Second change was to blow off the currents and go 100% raisins, GOLDEN raisins. My dad is a golden raisin junkie. He was a good boy and left the box alone until I measured out what I needed =)
Since I am a functional idiot I had the bread all oiled and resting before I realize I forgot to add the f&#ing eggs. So out of its nice warm oiled bowl to mix in those eggs- by hand of course. That was fun. I only added 3 of the 4 eggs cause I was over it! They came out just fine anyway.
No other major changes but they did take a LONG time to rise for some reason. Maybe it was in protest to my disturbing its original rest period with the eggs? Who knows. They did rise nicely and then their pretty little round and cut buns got a nice slathering of egg wash. I love the color a nice egg wash gives a bread, don't you?


I forgot the one last change- to make the icing I used half n half instead of milk and extra vanilla and a squeeze of lemon juice.
How could you not ADORE a baked good designed with custom icing grooves??
























Food is love, guys. Don't let anyone tell ya different. Watching people enjoy what I make is seriously the BEST part.






































































Enjoy Dad!! xoxo



1 comment:

*Bitch Cakes* said...

I read this at work yesterday and I was drooling!!! Those look awesome. I also love the imprint for the icing.

And can I just say Dad enjoying one is too adorable!